Every car battery last only for a good 3 to 5 years on the maximum. If the car owner lives in extreme climates, then the weather conditions take a heavy toll on the battery performance and life.
Be it hot or cold, the battery will soon start to wear with time. Take the example of car batteries in India. They barely have a life of 3 or 4 years. There are several ways by which one can prevent the wear out from happening :
- First of all as the owner it is of paramount importance that you keep your car battery clean. The top terminals need to be cleaned out after every 4-5 months with a sharp wired brush.
- You don’t want to end up interrupting the supply of power between your terminals and the battery connectors; that is why getting the gunk out will help your battery live a long life.
- Well if your battery terminals are in good shape then power will drain. No car owner wants any sort of issues, so keep the terminals tight so that your car starts up smoothly.
- If you aren’t are using the battery disconnect the wires. How so you do it?? Well the connector from the negative end needs to be removed if you aren’t going to drive for a week or more. When you do this it prevents any possible charge loss from the powered clock of your car and other items of electronic use. The connector should be kept at a safe distance from the battery when you bring down the car hood.
- Every 2-4 months make sure that you inspect the level of battery water. Replace it if it needs to be. Most batteries don’t have fill in caps for electrolyte refills.
- If you are making too many trips but none of them have enough time for the drive then chances are you yourself are shortening the battery life. So one definitely needs to start the car up every now and then and take the car out to ensure that the battery is charged to its optimum.
- Most of us have probably never done this but coating the car battery with a layer of grease can prevent the battery from corroding in the future.
- If you notice any crack or even a small break in the case then it is time to change the battery.
- The life of the battery depends entirely on how well your vehicle has been maintained. If all the other parts run well then there will be less cause for exertion on the battery and thus it will run for a longer period of time.